Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Big news for this blog!

It's moving!

The cool new digs are being hosted by Seed Media Group (which also puts out Seed Magazine). While the rants will still be mine, there are new tools that will be coming online over the course of the coming month(s) that are designed to better server both blogger (me) and reader (you) - and, we hope, will allow folks to navigate across blogs in the network in some novel ways

I'm excited to be making this move because the ScienceBlogs includes more than a dozen other great science bloggers (people you ought to be reading if you're not already) and is gunning to be "the largest and most engaged global conversation about science". This kind of conversation is exactly the kind of thing I think might improve science literacy, augment quality science journalism (while helping people tell good science journalism from dreck), and give non-scientists a better understanding of how the scientific marketplace of ideas works when it's working well. Also, it promises to be a rollicking good time!

This site will remain up (knock wood) as the archive of "Adventures in Ethics and Science" up to this point, but my new posts will go up on the new site. Two other tiny features you'll find on the new site:

  1. My real name.
  2. An unblurred picture of me (though it is about 20 years old ...)

What I do for my loyal readers!

Finally, since it's International De-Lurking Week, y'all can tell me what you think about the whole thing, either in this comment thread or in the comments on the new site.


6 Comments:

At 12:41 PM, Blogger Richard Zach said...

Hi Janet! I knew that was you!

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger Bora Zivkovic said...

It looks really great! It's exciting.

Do you think all these bloggers are going to abandon their own blogs and move over there, or cross-post, or what? I can't see PZ abandoning Pharyngula, for instance.

On the other hand, I post a lot of non-sciency stuff so it would not make sense for me to join up unless I can use that platform ONLY for science posts (and that would mak eme write more of those).

 
At 12:51 PM, Blogger Janet D. Stemwedel said...

Hi Richard! How are things?

Coturnix, I know that there are contractual limits to the amount of cross-posting people can do while blogging for ScienceBlogs. So, for many the "old blog" will just serve as the vault. (Conceivably, some folks will use their old blogs to blog in some new direction -- about kitties or whatever. But, compartmentalized blogger that I am, my "other directions" already have their own blogs.)

From the ScienceBlogs site it looks like they may be interested in attracting more bloggers. And certainly, not all the bloggers who are on board are all-science, all-the-time.

 
At 5:37 PM, Blogger JM said...

Congrats on the new digs!

 
At 8:39 PM, Blogger Dan said...

Congrats on the move! Seed is really doing some great stuff for science blogging, and well, all things science. The site looks great.

I guess that means I have to change my feed for you!

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger ScienceWoman said...

Congrats on the move. I'm heading over there now and will update my blogroll accordingly.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home